Thursday, August 5, 2010

Nothing But Blue Skies???

I have had a really long day today and I just got home a few minutes ago. I have always really liked skies. I remember when I was a little girl and my Dad would carry me out and show me the stars. I remember a real cold winter night when my sister who is 6 years older than me took me for a walk. It was Christmas Eve. She held my hand tight because I was only 5. We could see our breath, the grass in the meadow was crunchy from frost and if a person could smell a snow coming, we surely could. She pointed to the North star and told me about the wise men and shepherds seeing a star that led them to the baby Jesus. It was a mystical night that has stayed in my mind for over 50 years.

I married a man that loves skies as much as I do. One of the things that attracted me to him is that he believes skies can have a very spiritual side to them. He is an artist and his desire is to capture that spirituality in his paintings. He does it well.

So, anyway, when I was on my way home tonight, it was raining hard and right above me the sky was black and looked ominous and the winds blew and shook the car. I would have been scared except to my left I could see the bluest sky with the golden rays of sunset.

I love that the sky can shout out that God always brings Light to our lives again, after a long darkness or a short one. That is why we don't give up hope. We learn when we have lived long enough that "this too shall pass" and the Light will shine again.

1 comment:

  1. A great thought, and story. I know that I thought of you - and that you taught me, as a child- that the sky is really "always blue," ...that the darkness and the shaking is only at the surface--the real part, the part where God is - is "always" blue.

    I'm glad you had the light in addition to the scary darkness. I hope that you always, always do.

    Love, me

    ReplyDelete